Spring has sprung, and what better way to enjoy the beautiful warm weather than by spending time outdoors? Not only is spending time outside a great way to socialize and have fun, but also it can do wonders for your health. Research shows older adults who spend more time outdoors experience less pain and sleep better, and are happier and more relaxed. Not to mention, you can soak up some vitamin D from the sun, which is essential for a healthy brain, bones and muscles.
So, what are you waiting for? Get outdoors and start enjoying these fun springtime activities!
1. Go for a Nature Walk. Once the weather warms up, the birds start chirping and the flowers start blooming. Immerse yourself in the beauty of nature by going for a leisurely walk. During your free time explore the grounds of your senior living community, or help orchestrate a field trip to a local park or nature center. In addition to exploring the great outdoors, nature walks are a fun way to stay active and healthy!
2. Visit a Farmer's Market. Strolling through a farmer's market and checking out the fresh produce and flowers is a wonderful activity for seniors. Not only is it enjoyable, but also you can stock up on fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as flowers and plants for your garden (see #3).
3. Plant a Garden. Did you know gardening is a good form of exercise and can improve your overall wellbeing? Take advantage of these benefits and the warm weather by planting a garden. Consider getting others to join you by starting a community garden in your neighborhood. You can make some new friends, have fresh produce, and beautify your community.
4. Have a Picnic. Enjoy the sunny skies and cool breeze by having a picnic. Incorporate your picnic into your nature walk field trip, or simply enjoy lunch outside at your senior living community. Be sure to pack picnic favorites, like sandwiches, potato salad, fruit salad and coleslaw.
5. Take a Dip. Does your community have an outdoor pool? If so, take full advantage of it! Take a dip in the water, do some water aerobics, or even lounge poolside.
These are some great springtime activities for seniors. You may be wondering, is there a senior living community near me that offers these types of fun activities? The answer is yes! Visit us online at www.Silverfox.care to find the perfect for a senior community near you.